There are 2 parts to managing event participants:
- Managing event seat assignment: This includes ensuring there are sufficient seats in the event, and assigning users to seats.
- Inviting participants to access the event: The second part relates to inviting participants into the event.
Managing event seat assignment
When an event is created, the Host is automatically assigned a seat in the event. Other seats are also created under the ownership of the Host, but shown with an 'Unassigned' suffix.
Assigning users to seats
In the Environments tab, select Assign user to assign each seat to an existing Heropa user.
While an event is running, a quick way to assign users to seats is via the Classroom tab, by selecting Assign user. All seats in the event will be listed, and each one can easily have a user assigned to it. This feature can also be used to swap a participant from one environment to another.
Each environment in the Environments tab will have an owner. Selecting Release seat will change the owner from the assigned user to Unassigned. Now, the seat can be assigned to someone else. The former owner can also now be re-assigned to a different seat.
Adding additional seats post event setup
After an event has been created, it's possible to modify the available seats if needed. This can be done in the Template tab, by adjusting the number in the Seats field for the applicable participant template. If the event is already started the additional participant environments will automatically launch.
Inviting participants to access the event
There are 2 ways to invite participants to access an event. The best method for your event depends on whether the expected event participants are well defined / known.
Assign users a seat, then email them with Heropa login details
If the list of participants is well defined:
- Add them as users to Heropa. See: Adding users
- Assign each user a seat. See: Assigning users to seats
- Provide each user their Heropa login details. This can be done from inside Heropa by emailing users at the time of their creation. If you chose to force a password reset at first login, they will be requested to do this.
- Once the user successfully logs in, they will see their event seat in My Labs.
Obtain an access link URL, then provide this to participants
There will be scenarios where the list of participants is less certain, for example a customer event where attendance is not confirmed. Providing an access link to new users is the best way to manage participants when attendance is not confirmed.
- In the Event's Access tab, from the Access links field, copy the access link for the template. Note: Each template has a unique access link, so check to ensure the correct one is being sent.
- Configure the Bypass email activation toggle. Note: If this is OFF, a participant will need to complete an additional activation step to verify themselves before joining the event; If ON, there is no activation process.
- Provide the access link URL to all desired participants so they can join.
- Once a participant clicks on the access link URL and adds in their details, they will be assigned a seat to the event, and will see their event seat in My Labs.
- The access link URL can be provided to participants before the event, or at the beginning of the event itself.
- Once the seat limit has been reached, any attempts to access the event via an access link URL will be unsuccessful.