There are 2 parts to managing event participants:
- Managing event seats: This includes ensuring there are sufficient seats in the event, and assigning users to seats.
- Inviting participants to access the event: The second part relates to inviting participants into the event.
Managing event seats
When an event is created, the Host is automatically assigned a seat in the event. Other seats are also created under the ownership of the Host, but shown with an 'Unassigned' suffix.
Managing event seat allocation
In the Environments or Classroom tab of the event, select Manage seats.
In the Manage event seats modal:
- Seats can be assigned to new or existing users of Heropa
- A list of users can be imported to assign seats in bulk
- The number of event seats can be modified
While an event is running, a quick way to assign users to seats is via the Classroom tab, by selecting Manage seats. All seats in the event will be listed, and each one can easily have a user assigned to it. This feature can also be used to swap a participant from one environment to another.
Each environment in the Environments tab will have an owner. Selecting Release seat will change the owner from the assigned user to Unassigned. Now, the seat can be assigned to someone else. The former owner can also now be re-assigned to a different seat.
Adding additional seats post event setup
After an event has been created, it's possible to modify the available seats if needed. This can be done via the Manage seats capability described above, as well as in the Template tab, by adjusting the number in the Seats field for the applicable participant template.
If the event has already started, the additional participant environments will automatically launch.
Inviting participants to access the event
There are 2 ways to invite participants to access an event. The best method for your event depends on whether the expected event participants are well defined / known.
Assign users a seat, then send them information so they can access the event
If the list of participants is well defined:
- In the Manage event seats modal, assign each participant a seat.
- Send each participant some information so they can access the event. What to send depends on whether you have required authentication on the event's seats in the Event's Configuration tab.
- If 'Require authentication on seats' is not enabled, the workspace URL will launch the workspace. Copy the unique workspace URL from the Manage event seats modal and send this to the participant.
- If 'Require authentication on seats' is enabled, participants will be required to log in before accessing the workspace. This means you need to send each participant their login details as well the workspace URL. To create a password, use the Change password feature in the event's Environments tab. If you choose to require a password reset at first login, they will be requested to do this. Once the user successfully logs in, they will see their event seat in My Labs.
Obtain an Invite link URL, then provide this to participants
There will be scenarios where the list of participants is less certain, for example a customer event where attendance is not confirmed. Providing an invite link to new users is the best way to manage participants when attendance is not confirmed.
- In the Event's Access tab, from the Invite link field, copy the invite link for the template. Note: Each template has a unique invite link, so check to ensure the correct one is being sent.
- Configure the Skip email verification for new users toggle. Note: If this is toggle OFF, a participant will receive an email to complete an additional activation step to verify their email address before joining the event; If ON, there is no activation process and the user doesn't need to confirm their email address.
- Provide the Invite link URL to all desired participants so they can join.
- Once a participant clicks on the Invite link URL and adds in their details, they will be assigned a seat to the event, and will see their event seat in My Labs.
- The Invite link URL can be provided to participants before the event, or at the beginning of the event itself.
- Once the seat limit has been reached, any attempts to access the event via an Invite link URL will be unsuccessful.