Events are used to create instructor-led training sessions, and to provide hands-on access to software at customer events.
An event does not consume compute resources until it is started and its environments are launched.
When creating an event, all settings can be configured, including the required environment templates, supporting content, and policy.
In this article
Creating an event
- From the Left Navigation menu choose Events, and then click Add from the Top Navigation menu.
- In the Create new event window complete the following information:
- Event type: First it's important to select whether the event is based on independent environments, where each participant has their own independent and isolated environment. Alternatively, select shared environments if participants are to share resources in a single environment.
- Name: This is the name that will appear in the Events list
- Host: Select the event host, it can either be the user creating the event, or a different user.
- Host Template: Select the template to be used by the host. This can be different to the participant template. There is only one host template per event.
- Participant Templates: Select the template to be used by participants. Also enter how many seats are required for the selected template. An event can support participants with different templates. If this is relevant to your event, select Add template to add another participant template. For example, this can be useful if you have participants located in different geographical regions, since each group can use a template located in their own region, thus optimising performance. Note: To run a multi-region event, first check if your Heropa subscription has access to multiple regions.
- Select Next
- Timezone: Select the timezone the event is being held in.
- Policy: Select a policy to apply to the event. See Using Policies.
- Start Date and End Date: Select the event's start date and time, and end date and time.
- Pre-launch: This is the amount of time before the event start time that you want the environments to launch, which will result in them being built and ready at the start of the event.
Tips on Pre-launch:
- Give yourself enough time before the event to get everything ready. Allow 1-2 hours before the event if you want to test environments, run launch scripts, etc. On average, it takes under 5 minutes to launch all the seats in an event.
- Setting pre-launch to ‘Never’ means the users will launch the environments themselves once the event starts. This setting can be useful if you are not sure how many people are planning on attending the event.
Once the above information is complete, click Create. You will be redirected to the Environments tab for the event.
Configuring event settings
Once the event is created, additional settings can be configured as required.
In the Configuration tab, you can:
- Add an Instructor to the event. This will give them access to the event's Classroom view so they can provide assistance to participants. Note: Adding an instructor gives them access to the Classroom view, but does not give them a seat in the event. If this is required, they can be assigned a seat. See Managing event participants.
- Change event scheduling settings after the event has been created, including the timezone, start date and time, and policy to be used for the event.
- Set a Usage Type: This can be useful to track resource consumption for billing purposes. Note: Custom Usage types can be managed in company Admin settings, and then associated with any running environment.
If you plan to use Chat in the event, check these 2 settings:
- Group chat: If this is OFF then a participant can chat with an instructor, but not with other participants.
- Hide request assistance: If this is OFF then a participant can request assistance from an instructor.
Templates determine what the host and participants see in their workspace. In this tab, you can:
- Configure specific settings for each template being used in the event, including content and chat
- Manage the number of seats using each participant template
- Add a new template
To add content to an event:
- When creating an event, custom content or a link to a file can both be included.
Different content can be incorporated for each Host and Participant template, if desired. An example where this may be useful is if you are running a multi-region event and want to include custom instructions for participants in different regions, or content in different languages.
To add content to the event, locate the template, then:
- To add a link to a document: In the Download manual link field, insert the URL of the document you would like for users to be able to open from within the event workspace.
- To add content created within the Content module: In the Content field, select the name of the content you would like to display in the Content panel of the event workspace.