Courses are used to create self-paced courses.
A course does not consume resources until it is launched.
When creating a course, all settings can be configured, including the required environment templates, supporting content, and policy.
In this article:
Creating a course
- From the Left Navigation menu choose Courses, and then click Add from the Top Navigation menu.
- In the Create new course window complete the following information:
- Company: Select the company that will own the course.
- Users with a global role type can create a course for any company. Users with a company role type can create a course for their own company only.
- Select 'Share with all companies' if the course is to be available to all companies. If users in a company are to be directly enrolled in a course, it needs to be shared with their company. For more information, see: Assigning a Company access to a Course.
- Name: This is the name that will appear in the user's Library
- Region: Select the region to store your course
- Template: Select a template. Public templates owned by or shared with the selected Company will be available for selection.
- Code: The course code must be unique and can be aligned with corporate standards.
- Policy: Select a policy to apply to the course. Public policies owned by or shared with the selected Company will be available for selection.
Once the above information is complete, click Create. You will be redirected to the Course details page.
Configuring a course
In the course's Configuration tab, you can:
- Modify the environment's policy
- Manage the content that appears in the course workspace
- Modify what's visible / available in the course workspace eg. notes panel, workspace controls, etc.
- Define an unallocated pool size for pre-provisioned environments. See: Unallocated pool: Pre-provision environments to be used in a course.
In the Settings section of the Configuration tab, you can also configure the course's VMs as follows:
- Which VMs start automatically when the environment, course or event is launched
- Which VMs are visible in the workspace
- Which VMs are pinned to the top of the workspace by default. Note: Pinned VMs maintain an active console connection, so if users are regularly moving between multiple VMs in the workspace, pinning these VMs will provide the best user experience. Pinned VMs can be changed by a user as desired.
- The order that VMs are displayed in the workspace
If you want to provide end users with external application credentials in the course, add these via the course's Credentials tab. Then return to the Configuration tab and use the workspace options to configure their display in the top navigation or the side panel of the workspace. See: Using credentials.
Previewing a course
You can preview a course at any time. Previewing a course will provide you with an identical experience to an end user's experience.
- From the Left Navigation menu choose Courses, and then select the course you with to preview. You will be redirected to the course details page.
- Click Preview course from the Top Navigation menu.
- In the Course Preview Information window select Continue.
This will initiate the creation of a live instance of the course. Here is a list of common items to check when previewing a course:
- Access policy is working correctly
- VMs are named correctly
- Comments and ratings on each exercise are appearing correctly
- VMs are connecting correctly
Publishing a course
Before a course is published, it is only visible to administrators. A course needs to be published in order for it to be visible to users. For the other conditions that determine a course's visibility in the end user view, see: Managing course visibility for end users.
- From the Left Navigation menu choose Courses, and then select the course you wish to publish. You will be redirected to the Course details page.
- Choose Publish from the Action dropdown in the Top Navigation menu.