Use Events in Heropa to create a virtual classroom, perfect for instructor-led training.
In this article
Terms you should know
Usually the main facilitator / instructor hosting the session.
The Host can view all participants' environments in the virtual classroom, and provide over-the shoulder assistance when needed.
Up to 12 instructors can be added to an event.
Instructors can view all or selected participants' environments in the virtual classroom, and provide over-the shoulder assistance when needed.
Instructors are not automatically assigned a seat in the event.
|An event attendee assigned a seat in the classroom, and has access a hands-on lab environment.
Templates are the building blocks of the hands-on lab environments accessed during the event. An event can contain different types of environments launched from multiple templates, for example:
|When the event is launched, each attendee has their own dedicated environment.
Things to consider before setting up instructor-led training
1. Will the event be based on independent environments or shared environments?
Most events use independent environments type, where each participant has their own independent environment. Each environment is completely isolated with no shared resources.
Events can also use a shared environments type, where all participants share a single environment and are allocated one or more virtual machines in this environment. Shared environments are optimal for client-server type setups, for example where there is a licensed server and all participants need to access it. Note: Only templates with a single network can be used in the shared environments model. During the creation of a shared environments event, the host template network is retained, while the participant template network is replaced. Participant VMs are allocated a random IP address on a dedicated participant subnet.
2. Will there be a single instructor, or multiple instructors?
If the event will have more than one instructor, add them to the event. This will give them event access, and specifically the Classroom view where they can view what participants are doing, monitor chat, and provide assistance.
For larger events, instructors can use their Classroom view to monitor different participants.
3. Will the participants be geographically near each other, or in multiple locations?
If participants are located in different geographic regions, we recommend you set up a multi-region event to ensure optimal virtual lab performance for all participants. Multi-region events can only be created using the independent environment type, and allow you to set up environments using templates from different regions. This feature is only available in some Heropa subscription tiers.
4. Is it important that the clock on the internal VMs is synchronized with the timezone the event is being held in?
By default, the internal VM clock will reflect the timezone pertaining to the VM Image. If you'd prefer that it synchronize with the event timezone, ensure the VMs are configured to permit this.
Setting up an instructor-led training session
- Create an event, including configuring additional settings if needed. See: Creating an event.
- Invite participants to the event. See: Managing event participants.
Running the instructor-led training session
- Before you begin, check all event participants have a seat assigned to them and environments have launched successfully (if applicable)
- Run the event, assisting event participants when needed using the Classroom view and integrated Chat and Video features
See: Running an event.