Content can be created directly in Heropa using the Content module. Once created in the Content module, it can be used in Courses, Environments and Events.
Content is comprised of Sections and Exercises. Any form of content can be added to an exercise, i.e. text, images, links, document attachments, audio and video files. Once created, sections and exercises can be flexibly edited, re-ordered, and deleted.
Note: We recommend you use a non-Microsoft browser (Chrome or Firefox) when working in the content editor. The copy and paste functionality is more reliable in non-Microsoft browsers.
In this article:
Creating new content
- From the Left Navigation menu choose Content, to view the Content library. From the Content library, click Add from the Top Navigation menu.
- In the Create new content window complete the following information:
- Type: Select Custom to add content directly into the Content module
- Name: This is the name that will appear in the Content library
- Once the above information is complete, click Add.
You will be returned to the Content library page. To add content, continue below.
- On the Content details page select the Details tab, and then click Add Section.
- In the Create new section window enter a name for the section, then click Create.
- At the end of the Section row, click the + icon to add an exercise to the section.
- In the Create new exercise window enter a name for the exercise, and then click Create.
Adding content to Exercises
To add content to the exercise click on the exercise name, or click Edit exercise at the end of the row.
The content editor is a rich text with a standard feature set.
To add images simply copy and paste them from your local computer’s clipboard. Use the Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V keyboard shortcuts (on a PC) or Cmd+C and Cmd+V (on a Mac)
Note: The Heropa workspace display is responsive so images do not need to be re-sized.
Content from other sources
To copy content from a pre-existing source (MS word / PDF / html) use the Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V keyboard shortcuts (on a PC) or Cmd+C and Cmd+V (on a Mac).
Converting MS Word documents
Before you start copying and pasting content from MS Word documents into Heropa, there's a few steps we recommend to make it easier to edit in Heropa.
1. Remove bullets and numbering
In MS Word, from menu choose Format > Bullets and Numbering...
In the Bullets and Numbering window, select None for all options.
2. Remove all heading style indentations
Check all the headings in your document for indentations, remove them, then reapply the new style to the entire document.
Reorder sections and exercises by dragging them with the reorder icon.
Configuring default content settings
On the Content details page select the Configuration tab.
There are 2 toggles here that allow default settings to be set for the content being created. These are:
- Allow comments by default
- Allow ratings by default
If the toggles are off, then by default, the Content will not allow comments or ratings.
This can be configured here in the Content module. Alternatively, these can be set within a Course, Environment or Event, when content is used there.
How to see which environments are using the content
On the Content details page select the Environments tab. This contains a list of all environments using the content.
Updating / Refreshing content
Content can be updated at any time in the Content module.
If content is being used in a Course, Environment or Event, and is subsequently updated, the content in them remains static until it is synchronized at that level.
For more information, see: Updating course content